If you ask any of the people really close to me in my life they will tell you that this is my favorite guilty pleasure. I love Haitian breakfast spaghetti with hot dogs. The only thing this video is missing is some ketchup and mayonnaise and a few banan peze and some fresh picklies on the side. I know americans always say "ewe that is so gross", but for real don't knock it until you try it.
Haitian Spaghetti with Hot Dogs
- 1lb Spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup White Onion (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon Thyme (fresh, leaves only, can use dried)
- 5 hot dogs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Chicken Bouillon Powder or 1 Cube
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Reserved Pasta Water
- Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 Habanero
- Crushed Red Pepper (to taste-optional)
- Ketchup (preferably a caribbean sweet version)
Boil pasta according to package. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the pasta water for later use.
In a heavy large saucepan, heat oil and add tomato sauce or ketchup. (if using ketchup add 1 additional tablespoon) Cook tomato paste for 3 - 4 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add garlic, onion, whole haanero, thyme, and hot dog and cook for 4 minutes while stirring to blend. Add chicken bouillon and stir. Add pasta and stir to blend while gradually adding the pasta water. Lower heat and cover and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Add crushed red pepper if using. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let the noodles crisp up just a bit for little bits of crunch to taste. Top with ketchup and mayonnaise and serve with banan peze and picklies, or some hard boiled eggs and avocado.